DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY - PhD (Higher Education)
The PhD in Higher Education is a research-based programme, which focuses on specific areas in the field of higher education. It aims to highlight issues related to policy, governance, leadership, funding and financing, curriculum, pedagogy, innovation, and the internationalization of higher education at national and international levels.
Research thrust areas
- Policy, Governance, Leadership and Funding and financing in Higher Education
- Curriculum, Pedagogy, and Innovation in Higher Education
- Internationalisation in Higher Education
At the end of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Contribute knowledge, ideas and solutions to problems and develop knowledge in the field of higher education.
- Acquire the skills to conduct research in the field of higher education competently, professionally, ethically, and independently.
- Generate information and knowledge of the principles, theories, and research methodology to solve higher education problems through research.
- Demonstrate high quality and intellectual academic communication, in the community of researchers and scholars in the field of higher education. and establish effective cooperation between researchers.
- Disseminate research results holistically to practitioners, researchers and the public.
- Raise awareness about the career development of professionals in the field of higher education.
- Enhance capacity, knowledge and skills in higher education governance, leadership, funding and financing, policy, curriculum, pedagogy, and internationalization.
A person who wishes to apply for admission to the Doctorate programme should possess the following qualification:
- Master's degree in research mode; or
- Master’s degree in a related area with a CGPA of 3.00/4; or
- Master’s degree in a related area with a CGPA of 2.50-2.99/4 with additional requirements; or
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with a minimum CGPA of 3.67/4 (fast-track to PhD)
(Applicable to international applicants only)
- A minimum score of 35 in Internet-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language); or
- A minimum of Band 5 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System); or
- A minimum score of 154 in Cambridge English Advanced (CAE); or
- A minimum score of 154 in Cambridge Proficiency Advanced (CPE); or
- A minimum score of 36 in Pearson Test of English (PTE); or
- A minimum of Band 2 in MUET (Malaysian University English Test)
An exemption can be given if:
- English is the candidate's mother tongue or National Language; or
- The candidate graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction is English.
- Full-time: Minimum 4 semesters / Maximum 10 semesters
- Part-time: Minimum 6 semesters /Maximum 15 semesters
** Fees are subject to change.